1. Preparing your application
You should start preparing your application as soon as you have plans to stay long term in Germany. The entire visa application process can take several months.
Please prepare your application as follows:
- Use the online application from at https://videx-national.diplo.de or fill out and print the visa application form and bring a copy of it to your appointment.
- Compile the documents you need to submit with your application. If documents or supporting documents are missing, your application may be rejected. We have prepared checklists for various purposes of residence, which you can find below.
- Important information: Please do not send the Visa Section any documents unless requested to do so, particularly not before you have submitted your application. We are not able to store such documents and we will not know to which application they belong. Please always bring the complete documentation with you to your appointment.
If the embassy requires a DNA test for processing your visa, please follow the instructions provided in the information sheet provided below.
All DNA-procedures are processed via IOM.
Shipments to IOM can only be made via private courier service – please follow the shipment advice provided in the information sheet.
The sender has to ensure that all shipping and customs fees have been paid, and all documents necessary for shipment and customs are attached.
Sampling kits must be sent with an covering letter written in English. An example is provided below.
DNA Information sheet and important shipment advice (English/Deutsch)
Example DNA Covering Letter English
Book your D-Visa online appointment here.
2. Submitting your application
In order to submit your application, please attend your appointment at the Embassy in person.
Please hand in your complete documentation and pay the fee.
For visa fees, please see the FAQs.
The Embassy will ask you questions about your planned trip and take your photograph and fingerprints.
3. What happens during processing?
The Embassy will review your application and make a decision on whether or not to grant you a visa. To this end, it will check whether your application meets the legal requirements.
Depending on the purpose of your trip, it can take up to three months to check your application, in special cases, e.g. where a document verification is required processing can be significantly longer. The Embassy will contact you as soon as it has made a decision on your application.
We hope you will understand that we are not able to answer any questions on the status of your application during this processing period. After that, enquiries are only answered if they are made by the applicant, his/her legal representative or another person authorised in writing by the applicant.
4. Return of your passport
For convenience, you have the possibility to have your passport and visa returned by secure G4S courier services, so that your passport can be returned to you as soon the Embassy has decided upon your application.
You can purchase prepaid G4S delivery slips at the G4S counter located within the German Embassy (open from 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 noon). The delivery slips are available for 300 KSH onwards, depending on the final destination. Here you can find the G4S delivery fees.
The delivery slips have to be handed in together with your visa application form. Delivery usually takes one to two days.
5. Have a good trip! Information for visa holders
If all the information on your visa label is correct, you are free to travel.
Please check the information on the label as soon as your passport is returned to you. You should let us know immediately (send us a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org) if there are any mistakes so that we can issue you a new visa.
Your visa will state your full name and passport number and include your photo. It will also state the number of days you can stay and the period of validity, that is, the time by which you must have received your residence permit for Germany.
Therefore, please do not forget to register at the residents registration office shortly after you arrive in Germany and to make an appointment with the foreigners authority.
Your entry visa will allow you to travel within the Schengen area.