On 17 March 2020, Heads of State or Government of the Schengen Member States together with their counterparts of the Schengen Associated States have decided to apply a temporary restriction of non-essential travel from third countries into the EU area, in force for 30 days.
If you wish to travel, require a visa and one of the exceptions for entry applies to you:
- Non-EU citizens with long-term residence permit for Germany returning to their place of residence in Germany but your residence permit was stolen
- Non-EU citizens with essential functions, such as scientists, diplomats, airline crews
Or if you have a compelling reason for entry into Germany, please contact us at email@example.com with your full name, date of birth, passport number and information and proof on the compelling reason for travel. We will contact you with information on how to proceed further.
Please be advised that processing of all visa applications already made has been suspended.
If you have applied for a Schengen visa (short-term business trips, visits or tourist trips) with a travel date within the entry stop, you can either revoke your application and re-apply at a time when travel again will be possible or your application will be decided upon on the basis of the current factual and legal situation.
If you have applied for a national visa (long-term stay in Germany for family reunion, studies, work) processing of your application has been suspended for the time of the entry stop.
Please contact us once the travel ban has been lifted with
For studies: a current Letter of Admission or confirmation of your university of the start date for your studies.
For work visa: a current Work Contract or confirmation of your Germany employer when your start date for work will be.
Generally speaking, all foreigners require a visa for stays in Germany. A visa is not required for visits of up to 90 days in an 180‑day period for nationals of those countries for which the European Community has abolished the visa requirement. List of all countries whose citizens require a visa to enter Germany
The type of visa you require depends on how long you plan to stay. Are you planning a short visit to Germany, e.g. for a holiday? Or would you like to stay longer, e.g. to attend university?
Please choose how long you are planning to stay. You will find an overview on visa requirements here:
Visa appointments can only be obtained online. When applying, make sure you have all required documents and duly filled-in forms. Applications can only be made in person (exceptions for Frequent Travellers).
Please do not send original documents (invitation letters, certificates etc.) to the Embassy before the Visa appointment took place. The inviting person/company/university should send it directly to you and you should bring it at the day of your appointment to the Embassy.
- To enter Germany and the Schengen area, Kenyan, Burundian, Eritrean and Somali nationals will require a visa. Seychellois nationals only need a visa for stays exceeding 90 days.
- The German Embassy Nairobi is the competent visa authority for short term (Schengen visas) and long term visas (national visas) for all applicants residing in Kenya and Somalia.
- Long term visa applicants residing in Eritrea, Burundi and Seychelles also apply from the German Embassy Nairobi.
- Short term visa applicants (Schengen Visa) residing in Seychelles (third country nationals) need to apply at the German Embassy in Nairobi as the competent visa section.
- Kindly observe: Short term visa applicants (Schengen Visa) residing in Burundi need to apply at the Belgian Embassy in Bujumbura as the competent visa section for German Schengen visa applicants. Short term visa applicants (Schengen Visa) residing in Eritrea need to apply at the Italian Embassy in Asmara as the competent visa section for German Schengen visa applicants.
- The visa applicants residing in South Sudan must apply at the German Embassy Kampala, Uganda.
- Please note that you have to reside in one of those countries for more than six months in order to be eligible to apply with the Embassy in Nairobi.