Generally speaking, all foreigners require a visa for stays in Germany. A visa is not required for visits of up to 90 days in an 180‑day period for nationals of those countries for which the European Community has abolished the visa requirement. List of all countries whose citizen require a visa to enter Germany
The type of visa you require depends on how long you plan to stay. Are you planning a short visit to Germany, e.g. for a holiday? Or would you like to stay longer, e.g. to attend university?
Please choose how long you are planning to stay. You will find an overview on visa requirements here:
Visa appointments can only be obtained online. When applying, make sure you have all required documents and duly filled-in forms. Applications can only be made in person (exceptions for Frequent Travellers).
Please do not send original documents (invitation letters, certificates etc.) to the Embassy before the Visa appointment took place. The inviting person/company/university should send it directly to you and you should bring it at the day of your appointment to the Embassy.
- To enter Germany and the Schengen area, Kenyan, Burundian, Eritrean and Somali nationals will require a visa. Seychellois nationals only need a visa for stays exceeding 90 days.
- The German Embassy Nairobi is the competent visa authority for short term (Schengen visas) and long term visas (national visas) for all applicants residing in Kenya and Somalia.
- Long term visa applicants residing in Eritrea, Burundi and Seychelles also apply from the German Embassy Nairobi.
- Short term visa applicants (Schengen Visa) residing in Seychelles (third country nationals) need to apply at the German Embassy in Nairobi as the competent visa section.
- Kindly observe: Short term visa applicants (Schengen Visa) residing in Burundi need to apply at the Belgian Embassy in Bujumbura as the competent visa section for German Schengen visa applicants. Short term visa applicants (Schengen Visa) residing in Eritrea need to apply at the Italian Embassy in Asmara as the competent visa section for German Schengen visa applicants.
- The visa applicants residing in South Sudan must apply at the German Embassy Kampala, Uganda.
- Please note that you have to reside in one of those countries for more than six months in order to be eligible to apply with the Embassy in Nairobi.