Johann Ludwig Krapf, a German Lutheran missionary, came to Kenya in 1844. He established a mission in Rabai, about 25 km north-west of Mombasa. He developed the very first dictionary and grammar for Swahili. He also published the first Swahili version of the New Testament.
He is considered to be the founding father of Christianity in East Africa. The building of the German Embassy in Nairobi bears his name in memory of his pioneering work in bringing the peoples of our respective nations together, his work in the field of formal education and his advocacy of agricultural innovation and accessible health care.
In cooperation with National Museums of Kenya, Ambassador Jutta Frasch has now opened the reburbished Rabai Museum in the building that housed the first church built by Krapf.